1. About Us
Backr, (Backr, We, Us and Our) is a task-based platform that helps users manage and complete the set-up of new businesses, including government registrations and other ‘start of life’ business activities. Backr is wholly owned by X15 Ventures, which is part of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia Group which includes the Commonwealth Bank and its subsidiaries (the Group).
2. Your privacy is important to Us
At Backr, We understand how important it is to keep any personal information. We have, including visitors browsing Our website (www.backr.com.au) (Site) private, protected and safe. You can be confident that We comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and the Australian Privacy Principles for the protection and use of personal information.
This Backr Privacy Notice (Notice) outlines how We can collect, use, hold and disclose your personal information.
Please read through this Notice carefully prior to accessing or using Our Site, or engaging with our platform or a related service. We may update this Notice at will when things change. You can always find the most up-to-date version on our website.
3. What information do We collect?
If you are a visitor on Our Site, We will not store any personal information you input into the Site.
When you visit our websites or use our mobile apps — your location information, IP address, mobile device and network information, and any third-party sites you access. The recording of such information enables Us to optimise the Site for users, without identifying them.
Identity and Related Information
If you engage with Us about Backr or a related service, We may collect the following information from you:
- Your name and contact details, such as your email address, phone number, date of birth, place of birth (such as country state or city), government related identifiers such as tax file numbers (We do not use government related identifiers as our own identifiers) and other information that is relevant to our functions and activities;
- Any personal and business information provided as part of your use of Backr, which include business ideas, business plans and strategies, invoicing information, all business details required to register with ASIC and ATO, such as ABN, ACN, business names, trademark details, directorship details, etc.;
- Any other information you may provide to Us in your communications with Us (Identity and Related Information).
Information about third parties and service providers
From time to time, We work with organisations who provide services on Our behalf, such as those who assist with sponsorship arrangements or running events. We may collect and share Identity and Related Information with those organisations for those purposes.
Though We do not collect sensitive information, your country of birth (which, if combined with other personal information could be sensitive) is required for the purposes of ABN registration or business name registration and is therefore collected by us. Such information is collected with your consent when you submit an application to register a business name or ABN, and will only be used for that purpose.
4. How do we collect your information?
We collect information directly from the individual on the Backr website and within the Backr website application.
In some instances, We collect your personal information from your authorised agent who submits an application for an ABN, business name, trade mark, domain name, bank account or for GST registration or for any of our other services with us on your behalf, such as, your partner in your business or your lawyer or accountant.
We may also collect personal information about individuals from third parties such as the Australian Taxation Office or publicly available resources, such as Government websites, to check ABNs or other information.
When you provide us with personal information about other individuals, you should make them aware of this Notice and obtain their consent to you providing their details to us.
We may collect your personal information when you communicate with us, such as when:
- you make inquiries about us or our services or contact us for any other reason so that we can process, deal with and respond to your queries or other issues including any complaints;
- you use our Website;
- you submit an application for an ABN, business name, domain name, trade mark application, bank account or for GST registration, or any of our other services;
- you subscribe to a newsletter, fill out a form or survey, enter or participate in any promotions; or
- personal information is contained in any documents that we store on behalf of our clients or in documents processed using our invoicing system.
If you do not provide personal information that we request in connection with our activities, we may not be able to provide our products or services to you. For example, if we ask for your tax file number and you do not provide it, your ABN application may not be able to be processed or may be delayed.
We will store data that is necessary for Backr to be legally compliant and data that is required for reporting.
5. How do we use your information?
We collect, use and exchange your information to:
- Lodge relevant applications and registrations with third party portals such as ASIC and ATO
- Pre-populate information for your applications and registrations with third party government websites (e.g. trade licence applications)
- Improve the products and services which We provide, including sharing your information with businesses and entities which form part of X15 and the Commonwealth Bank Group, to inform these improvements;
- Handle your inquiries and communicate with you on your inquiries;
- Provide any other relevant customer support;
- Maintain a pipeline of people, who We may potentially want to work with in the future;
- Improve and optimise Our Site for visitors;
- Conduct internal system development testing and analysis;
- Research and analytical
- Comply with relevant laws;
- Support Our administrative purposes and any other purposes permitted by law; and
- Any other reason which We specifically notify you of and seek your consent to prior to using your personal information.
Sending data overseas
We may hold or process your information on servers located overseas, for filtering, hosting, mailing list providers, or storage purposes, reporting and analytical purposes and for system development testing purposes, or other services requiring us to engage third-party service providers. If this happens, We require such organisations to have the appropriate data handling and security arrangements in place to ensure compliance with this Notice and the law.
Improvements in technology enable organisations, like Us, to collect and use information to get a more integrated view of users and provide better products and services. We may combine user information with information available from a wide variety of external sources (for example census or Australian Bureau of Statistics data) to analyse the data in order to gain useful insights which can be used for any purpose.
In addition, We may provide data insights or related reports to others, for example to help them understand their customers better. These are based on aggregated information and do not contain any information that identifies you.
Do We use information for direct marketing?
We may use personal information We collect about you to provide direct marketing offers for products and services, which We think, may be of interest to you, unless you tell Us not to by opting out at any time. Opt-out may be in the form of an email or other electronic means.
6. Cookies and analytics
What are cookies?
Cookies are small data files that are downloaded from Our web servers and stored on your hard drive. A cookie is a string of letters and numbers that uniquely identifies the computer you are using.
Cookies are used on the Site to track your journey through Our Site and the type of cookie We use contains no personal information at all. This simply allows Us to see at a glance which pages and information is of most interest to visitors and members. Most browsers can be configured to refuse to accept cookies. You can also delete cookies from your hard drive. However, doing so may hinder your access to valuable areas of information within Our Site.
Google Analytics Advertising Features and the cookies it uses
We use Google Analytics features based on Display Advertising. You can opt-out of Google Analytics Advertising Feature by using the Ad Settings. In addition, you can use the Google Analytics Opt-Out Browser Add-on to disable tracking by Google Analytics.
We use Google Analytics Demographics and Interest-Reporting to understand the spread of age ranges, gender, and geographic locations of Our users. This enables Us to tailor the Site, content and Our marketing around Our users’ interests.
We may use “Remarketing” with Google Analytics to advertise online. This will utilise different cookies. Third-party vendors, including Google and media agencies, show Our ads on websites across the internet. These third-party vendors use the cookies on Our Site to inform, optimise and serve ads based on your past visits to Our Site.
For further information about how Google Analytics collects and processes information, please refer to "How Google uses data when you use Our partners' sites or apps", (located at www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/).
7. Who do We share your information with?
We may share your information with other organisations that are part of Backr, X15 or the Group, including those subsidiaries located outside Australia.
Generally, We also disclose personal information to organisations that help Us with the operation of Our business. These may include:
- Our current and prospective strategic partners, including third-party payment processors such as PayPal or Stripe, nominated representatives authorised to act on our behalf in processing your application and nominated third party partners used to provide services, including the services provided through the Website such as opening bank accounts applying for and prosecuting trade marks, registering domain names or web design services;
- Our suppliers, agents, associates, contractors and external service providers (including, for example, call centres, stationery printing houses, mail houses, information technology, marketing agencies, and marketing research companies);
- Our financial advisers, legal advisers or auditors;
- Regulatory bodies, government agencies and law enforcement bodies in any jurisdiction; and
- External dispute resolution schemes.
We may also provide personal information about you to external organisations in circumstances where We are required or authorised by law, or with your express consent.
Sometimes We may send your information overseas. Where We do, We make sure there are arrangements in place to protect your information.
8. Keeping your information safe
We take great care with the information We hold about you. Our aim is to ensure that details are securely protected from misuse, interference, and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We take reasonable care to make sure that We keep your information in an accurate, complete and up-to-date manner.
Our Site is professionally hosted and operates in a secure environment. Our Site uses encryption techniques to enhance your privacy and security when using Our Site. You should however be aware that there is always an inherent risk in transmitting your personal information via the internet, including by email.
9. Accessing, updating and correcting your information
You can contact Us and ask to access your information. For more detailed information, you can contact us on the details in section 11. If your information isn’t correct or needs updating, let Us know straight away.
10. Making a Complaint
We try to get things right the first time – but if We don’t We’ll do what We can to fix it. If you are concerned about your privacy, you can make a complaint (via the contact details below) and We’ll do Our best to sort it out.
Once the complaint has been received, We’ll look into the issue and try to resolve it as soon as possible. If We can’t We’ll write to you to let you know how We’ll manage the complaint.
If your complaint is about how We handle your personal information, you can also contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) on 1300 363 992 or at www.oaic.gov.au
11. Contact Us
You can contact Us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing at Backr, Ground Floor Tower 1, 201 Sussex Street, Sydney, NSW, 2000.